Thailand has become an increasingly attractive property investment destination, especially within the South East Asian region. This rapidly growing appeal, is the result of three major factors:
- Straightforward foreign property ownership laws.*
- A rapidly growing national economy.
- Desirable lifestyle.
*For more info about Thailand Property Laws please visit: Can foreigners buy property in Thailand?
Usually the most popular cities and provinces for foreign homebuyers and investors to buy real estate in Thailand are as follows:
- Chiang Mai
- Hua Hin
- Koh Samui
Let’s explore and review the most popular places to buy property!
Being Thailand’s administrative and business capital, Bangkok’s real estate market offers an incredibly attractive opportunity for both investors and homebuyers. With a population of over 8 million, the city is a dominant travel, businesses and commercial hotspot in South East Asia!
The city is home to numerous established national and multinational companies operating in Thailand. Bangkok also offers residents a very convenient and comfortable lifestyle. With a huge selection of entertainment and leisure venues such as shopping malls, markets, restaurants and nightlife.
Why buy property in Bangkok?
- Bangkok’s economic importance as a business and commercial hub, has inevitably resulted in rapidly rising price of real estate especially in the city’s Central Business District.
- The city offers buy-to-let property investors a stable and vibrant rental market. Rental properties in Central Bangkok generate an average rental yield between 4-6%.
- There is a huge selection of high-quality residential projects, developed by established Thai and International Developers.
For more reasons to buy property in Bangkok: 5 Reasons to Buy Bangkok Property
Phuket is located on Thailand’s biggest island and is an internationally renowned travel destination. The province is located in the south of Thailand and is famous for its idyllic beaches, fantastic lifestyle and breathtaking beachfront properties.
Why buy property in Phuket?
- Phuket is a popular travel destination and the province welcomes millions of tourists from around the world annually. In recent years, there has been a surge in the number of Chinese and Indian travellers. As a result, there is a steady and vibrant demand for vacation rental accommodation throughout the year.
- The province is developing rapidly, the Phuket International Airport was recently expanded to increase its transport capacity to 20 million passengers a year. The island is connected by an excellent road network and residents have access to a range of leisure and entertainment venues such as Jungceylon and Central Festival Mall.
- There is a thriving expat community and the pleasant standard of living is a big draw for both working professionals and families. The province has upheld a luxury and exclusive image as an international destination for the rich and affluent.
Pattaya is a resort city located in the east of Thailand, it is a popular coastal entertainment and leisure destination. Located only two hours away from Bangkok, it is a popular weekend getaway spot for the Capital’s weary residents.
Pattaya’s proximity to Bangkok and to the Eastern Seaboard Industrial Estates, means that it is ideally located to benefit from the trade and commerce of the Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC).
Why buy property in Pattaya?
- Pattaya is evolving as a city from a “weekend getaway”, to a connected and quasi-integrated extension of Bangkok. A high-speed train line linking Bangkok to Pattaya is currently in the works. Pattaya’s Airport (U-Tapao Rayong-Pattaya International Airport) will also be expanded and modernized to accommodate the increasing number of business travellers and holidaymakers.
- The city is a popular seaside resort destination and it offers a huge selection of leisure and entertainment venues from luxury malls, restaurants, bars and clubs. As a result, the city is a bustling tourist destination and home to a large community of expat residents.
- There is an active rental and sales market, with high-quality residential projects offered at relatively affordable prices (Especially when compared to Bangkok).
If Bangkok is the administrative capital, Chiang Mai is often described as the cultural heart of Thailand!
The city is located in Northern Thailand and offers a unique mountainous landscape and a rich cultural heritage with an abundance of old temples and traditional buildings.
Why buy property in Chiang Mai?
- Chiang Mai’s real estate market has been seeing a promising uptick in sales in recent years, especially with the surge in Chinese travellers.
- Chiang Mai offers a peaceful living experience with authentic traditional Thai charms. This makes it ideal for buyers looking to escape the hustle and bustle of Bangkok or the tourist frenzy of Phuket and Pattaya.
Hua Hin is Thailand’s oldest beach resort and is located in Prachuap Khiri Khan Province. The city is approximately 3 hours’ drive from Bangkok and is home to the Thai Royal Family’s summer palace.
These prestigious ties to royalty have transformed Hua Hin into an exclusive “beachside escape” for Bangkok’s holidaymakers. It offers a more relaxed and peaceful lifestyle, especially compared to its closest counterpart Pattaya!
Why buy property in Hua Hin?
- Hua Hin offers a laid-back living environment, making it a popular destination for retirees and families. This pleasant lifestyle is complemented by an attractive selection of attractively priced residential options (I.e. Condominiums, Villas and Houses).
- Last year Air Asia, announced that it would be increasing weekly flights connecting Hua Hin to Kuala Lumpur. This has inevitably increased visits from international travellers boosting Hua Hin’s international exposure.
Koh Samui is an exotic and beautiful tropical island located on the east coast of Thailand. In 2018 the island welcomed an estimated 2.8 million tourists, these travellers were mostly from China, Britain and Australia!
To preserve Koh Samui’s natural environment, developers need to respect strict building regulations. As a result, investors and homebuyers have a limited selection of condos with most buyers opting for beachfront villa projects.
Why buy property in Koh Samui?
- Koh Samui has established a reputation as a world-class travel destination, due to its stunning beaches and natural environment!